[DRBD-user] What happens upon Secondary congestion ?

Jerome Delamarche jd at trickytools.com
Tue Sep 27 10:40:52 CEST 2005

Hello,

I use DRBD 0.7.13 on two RedHat ES4 systems (kernel 2.6.9-11ELSMP).

The Primary is more powerful than the Secondary and during some batch
processing, the amount of data being replicated can reach several Giga
Bytes.

In the same time, I experience frequently very slow response time on the
replicated filesystems. For example, a "simple" "rm -r" that usually takes 2
seconds can last several minutes.
I already upgraded DRBD since it appears there was a bug with the former
version on SMP hosts.

My questions are:
what happens when there is a congestion somewhere (on the network, on the
Secondary....), does it slow down the Primary ?

Thanks,

Jerome