[DRBD-user] Replication of 3TB goes to stand Alone -workerterminated

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Sep 13 17:40:54 CEST 2005

/ 2005-09-13 19:26:39 +0800
\ Francis I. Malolot:
> sending you the unfiltered kernel
> bufffer log, Okey we assume that is a memory
> issue but we increase our memory to 2GB and set vmalloc to 512m
> its still the same problem.we also check vmstat it also did not
> got low memory.

> drbd0: Creating state block
> drbd0: resync bitmap: bits=768000000 words=24000000
> drbd0: size = 2929 GB (3072000000 KB)
> drbd0: 3072000000 KB now marked out-of-sync by on disk bit-map.
> drbd0: Assuming that all blocks are out of sync (aka FullSync)
> drbd0: 3072000000 KB now marked out-of-sync by on disk bit-map.
> drbd0: drbdsetup [5288]: cstate Unconfigured --> StandAlone
> drbd0: drbdsetup [6309]: cstate StandAlone --> Unconnected

right here are messages missing.
either some sort of "sorr, got no memory for this and that",
or "sorry, could not get a socket",
or "sorry, peer reset connection, doing this and that"...

not exactly in that wording.

> drbd0: drbdsetup [6309]: cstate Unconnected --> StandAlone
> drbd0: drbdsetup [6309]: cstate StandAlone --> Unconfigured
> drbd0: worker terminated

currently, I'd say there is something else wrong.
those kernel messages log the pid, too.
so we know that the last three state changes come from the same
drbdsetup, which is the drbdsetup net call.

that ioctl does not set StandAlone or Unconfigured.
it only starts the worker, makes the state change -> Unconnected, and
starts the receiver.  other, subsequent state changes would happen in
worker or receiver context. the messages above indicate those would
happen within the very same drbdsetup context.

"this cannot happen" :-(

still, just to rule it out:
does it work for you with smaller device sizes?
if yes, up to which size?