[DRBD-user] Kernel Memory Leak

Blake Atkins Blake.Atkins at scholarone.com
Thu Oct 13 19:25:01 CEST 2005

Hello list,

	I am experiencing a memory leak with SuSE SLES9 x86_64 kernel 2.6.5-7.193-smp
and a self-compiled DRBD 0.7.11.  Slabtop shows "size-256" growing at a rate
of about 50MB an hour:

4200585 4200585 100%    0.25K 280039       15   1120156K size-256

After a few days of this, the server runs out of RAM and requires a reboot.
The problem only occurs on whichever node is currently primary and continues
to occur regardless of the state of the primary.  I have not been able to
determine what is filling "size-256" and I think that would require a new
kernel with some expiremental slab debugging patches.  I searched the DRBD
lists for memory leaks and all I discovered was the "bio" problem which
appears to have been solved in version 0.7.10.  I would also expect slabtop
to show one of the bio pools as consuming the RAM instead of "size-256" if I
was experiencing the bio leak.  I am also not certain that DRBD is causing
the leak but this problem does not occur on similar hardware / software
configurations that do not use DRBD.  Has anyone experienced anything
similar?  Is it possible to rule out DRBD as the cause of the memory leak?

Thanks much,

--Blake Atkins