[DRBD-user] Re: filesystem corruptions

Eugene Crosser crosser at rol.ru
Mon Oct 10 17:58:45 CEST 2005

Lars Ellenberg wrote:

>>I would like to hear from people:
>>- is there anybody who successfully use "protocol A" at all?
>
> just as a side note, as long as no failover was involved to reproduce
> the error, the drbd protocol is irrelevant.

Protocol is indeed irrelevant to the error: we reproduced the problem
while protocol was 'C'.

Today, we ran this test: filesystem was mounted on /dev/md3 (without
drbd), and we generated high traffic on the network interface (by
running netcat from /dev/zero on one host to /dev/null on another).
There where NO filesystem errors.

We are planning to run a test when the filesystem is mounted from drbd,
and the gigabit interface is completely idle.  When we do that, we'll
know for sure, but so far it *seems* that there is no relation between
the appearance of errors and network activity.

Another test that we ran: we waited until a filesystem error on drbd
device appeared, did *not* run fsck, removed drbd module and mounted the
filesystem from md device.  It works for almost 24 hours now, there are
no errors!  Apparently, the filesystem errors indeed appear only in the
in-memory copy only.  I figure that this is an important symptom to
narrow down the search.

I'll come back when we have more information.

Eugene