[DRBD-user] Just making sure DRBD is the right project for me... ; -)

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 21 19:46:50 CET 2005

Evert Meulie wrote:

> Now I would like to use DRBD to make these 2 systems completely
> identical to each other, including root & boot partitions. Can DRBD help
> me out here?   8-)

'Completely' is not possible, and I would not like it.

Think about the content of /proc, or hardware/kernel related messages in
/var/log.

The only possibility (which I know) to fully sync a root / is, to run it
as a guest in XEN or vserver. This means having DRBD and the cluster
manager running in the host, and booting the guest at failover.

See
http://linux-vserver.org/Vserver+DRBD
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2005-06/msg00215.html

IMHO there should be a serious need for virtualization. Just syncing the
installed packages and the configuration is _not_ a serious reason.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer