Re-4: [DRBD-user] drbd freezes completely!

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Nov 21 17:54:34 CET 2005

Stefan Kerkemeier wrote:

> see below
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: Re-2: [DRBD-user] drbd freezes completely! (19-Nov-2005 10:35)
> From:    Philipp Reisner <philipp.reisner at linbit.com>
> To:      drbd-user at lists.linbit.com

<SNIP>
> > What means "freezes completely" ?
> >  - What is on the screen
> no error messages

Do you mean there are no error messages at all, or that you can not see them
because X was up when the machine locked?
It is a good idea on servers to put them in a NON-X runlevel[1] (runlevel 3
in Fedora), and if you are having trouble it is doubly a good idea to change
them to a non-X runlevel.  Running X when the system locks up means the
kernel can not display oops or panics to the console.

> >  - does it respond to key strokes
> no
> >  - does it respond to pings
> no
> >  - does it toggle the keyboard leds when you press "Num-Lock" etc..
> no
Also, are any of the keyboard LEDs blinking?? Some kernels try to give
OOPS/Panic information in morse code through the LEDs.

[1] read  /etc/inittab and then set
id:X:initdefault:
to something that does not start X on boot, usually 3.

--
Todd Denniston