Re-6: [DRBD-user] drbd freezes completely!

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Sat Nov 19 15:59:58 CET 2005

> > > no error messages

> > > no

> > > no

> > > no
> > >
> > > no log entries. Note with nmi_watchdog=1 there is no addintional
> > > information available!
> >
> > Please try to reproduce the freeze with an UP kernel.
> >

> As I already mentioned, I tried vanilla 2.6.13 without success.

UP stands for 'uniprocessor' as opposition to SMP 'symmetric multi
processing'. This does not say anthing about vanilla or vendor kernel.
In one of your posts you state that you run the SUSE SLES9 SP2/2.6.5.-191-smp
kernel. What I asked you to do, is to run a kernel that was build for
a single CPU machine.

What I am trying to find out if your lockup is a lockup on a
spinlock or on an other synchronousation primitive.

But your description so far makes no sense at all.

If it is on a semaphore/wait queue etc... it should respond to pings
and key strokes.

If it is on a spinlock... it should OOPS when booted with "nmi_watchdog=1"

If it is on a spinlock the lockup will simply go away when you run on only
a singe CPU (I.e. an UP kernel)

It looks like if your machine freezes due to some other reason, i.e. "bug"
on the PCI bus... etc. Actually your observation that it does not lock
up when it runs slower follows that pattern.

-Phil