[DRBD-user] drbd freeze / "out of range" message

Markus Marquardt markus.marquardt at atosorigin.com
Mon Nov 7 18:30:53 CET 2005

Hi,

we encounter the same "freeze" problem with our dell PE2850 servers (2x
Xeon 3 GHz, 4 GB ram, Perc Raid 4/Di (Megaraid), latest FC4 kernel
2.6.13, drbd-0.7.13, latest BIOS & raid firmware) as some other people here.

We can reproduce this by:

o On secondary: drbdadm invalidate drbd0
o On primary: cat /dev/zero > /drbd/mybigfile

The primary system immediately completely freezes (no response to
keystrokes, no ping etc.) until manual restart, without any messages on
log or console (screen blanking was disabled, so there was really no
message).

Another oddity after we've done some repartitioning of the underlying
disk partitions:

When stopping heartbeat on a cluster node (which implies a
/etc/ha.d/resource.d/drbddisk stop) some messages like

... drbd_md_sync_page_io ... out of range ...

appear on the console. What is this?

Any suggestions to solve these problems are welcome.

Regards,
Markus