[DRBD-user] How do I reconfigure a device

Jeremy Bowen jeremyb at iserve.co.nz
Mon Nov 7 04:05:34 CET 2005

Hi

I've been playing around with DRBD v0.7.14 and have got everything working OK.

I'm now trying to start putting my system into production and I want to resize
one of my /dev/drbdX partitions. (I'm attempting this stand-alone and have
not connected the disk to another drbd device)

I've attempted to resize with the following commands (in all possible
combinations!!):
/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disconnect
/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 down
/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 detach
/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/sda5 /dev/sda6 0 -d 62661501

but this fails with an entry in the dmesg:
drbd0: Requested disk size is too big (62661501 > 59000)

I've also tried:
/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 resize -d 62661501
but this results in the same dmesg entry as above.

If I do a:
/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 show
I get the following

Lower device: 08:05   (sda5)
Meta device: 08:06   (sda6)
Meta index: 0
Disk options:
 size = 62661501 KB

However filesystem operations fail and the volume eg:
/sbin/mke2fs -j /dev/drbd0
mke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
/dev/drbd0: Read-only file system while setting up superblock

Is there any way to get back to a clean state without using fdisk and
re-creating the partitions ?

--
Jeremy Bowen
Systems Administrator