[DRBD-user] DRBD on redhat 9

Jeff Buck jeffb at umci.com
Mon May 23 19:26:53 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 07:05 -0700, Discussion Lists wrote:
> reason.  It might be worth a try on the newer systems.  THere are a
> lot of things that need to be just right when you install DRBD.  For

I know I probably shouldn't be evangelizing a particular distro here,
but I think I'm going to anyway.

If you do end up trying a newer distro to get this working, might I
suggest you try something Debian-based like Ubuntu. We've been a RH shop
since like RH 3.03, and naturally converted to FC* when that was their
new thing, but recently we've started using Ubuntu, and I doubt if we're
ever going back. Administration is a lot easier, and so far on our 64
bit systems Ubuntu has been a lot better (more stable). And the nice
drbd related thing here is that I believe that drbd is maintained as a
Debian package, so installing drbd once you've got the right sources
listed is as simple as "apt-get install drbd".

Sorry for the distro pimping, but I suspect that this really could save
someone a lot of trouble... and yes, we do have drbd working under
Ubuntu 5.04 (hoary), but no, we didn't "apt-get", we installed it from
source, which also went very well.

-Jeff Buck (jeffb at umci.com)