[DRBD-user] More than two drbd devices - how to get devices in /dev?

Leroy van Logchem leroy.vanlogchem at wldelft.nl
Wed May 11 09:16:27 CEST 2005

Casey Allen Shobe - SeattleServer Mailing Lists wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to get drbd up and going.  I had it working with a single
> partition, but decided to make 4 partitions instead, so I deleted the
> original partition and made 4 to replace it on each machine.
>
> The problem now is that I can only get the first couple to work, since
> there is only drbd0 and drbd1 in /dev after I modprobe drbd.  How do I
> get drbd2 and drbd3 created too?  I tried creating them by hand with
> mknod, but then drbdadm primary all froze the remote machine until the
> next day, so I haven't tried that again...

Hi Casey,

Don't create them by hand but let the module handle it.
I'am using /etc/modprobe.conf to specify the number
of drbd devices:

# grep drbd /etc/modprobe.conf
options drbd minor_count=3

The manpage explains:

minor-count count
  count may be a number from 1 to 255.

  Use minor-count if you want to define more resources later
  without reloading the DRBD kernel module. Per default the
  module loads with  exactly  as  many devices  as  configured
  in this file. Builtin default for module is 2, and 8 for monolithic
  kernel. For monolithic kernel minor-count is ignored, and you
  have to pass a kernel boot parameter drbd.minor_count=count
  to change the default.

--Leroy