[DRBD-user] IBM Server Machines with DRBD-0.7.x

Paul Bennett paul-bennett at nc.rr.com
Thu Mar 31 05:29:13 CEST 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:40:25 -0500, Linux GNUbie <gnubie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 21:16 -0500, Paul Bennett wrote:
>>
>> Do you plan on massive future scalability? A full Bladecenter will give
>> you marginally more CPUs per U of space than (I think) any ordinary
>> xSeries. If you're buying lots of gigahertz, that will be a big factor.
>> Using Bladecenter bays for SCSI storage is going to cut into that.

> Not necessarily for scalability but for a practical hardware of choice
> for servers intended for DHCP, NFS, OpenLDAP and DNS.  Maybe for the NFS
> server, the SCSI HDD should be scalable for the file servers.

There are so many things that the word "best" can mean. Have you looked at
the Configuration & Options Guide? Last time I saw it, there was a lot of
good information in the beginning for the target market of each server.

It's at http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/xseries/library/configtools.html

It looks like the x345 has been withdrawn in favor of the 346, too. You
may be able to get the x345 from business partners or resellers, but not
directly from IBM.

> You mean, the blades are not that good hardware of choice when it comes
> to hardware stability?

I can't speak for their stability in real terms. What I can say is that
they're really designed to be replaced on a whole-machine basis (and then
repaired and sold as pre-owned) as opposed to ordinary xSeries which are
designed to be replaced part-by-part. If you own (say) 500 Blades, it can
be a huge economic advantage.

>> OTOH, I've been inside the x345, and it's a pleasure to expand and to
>> work
>> on.
>
> I was once able to work with IBM xSeries 345 and it was so cool and
> stable.

The whole xSeries range are great to work with. I can't recommend them
highly enough.

> The initial plan is to purchase 4 or 6 server machines for the said
> services and it will be 2 or 3 pairs of those machines will be
> configured with Heartbeat and DRBD.

Hm. A Bladecenter holds 14 blades. Depending on your needs, that's only 6
slots used on CPU, but you're only allowed one SCSI expansion unit per CPU
blade, for a total of 12 SCSI hard drives.

Six x346s will be 12U of rack space (instead of 7) but will support 36
SCSI hard drives (instead of 12).

For NFS, I'd say the choice of x346 is clear, with each unit capable of
880GB instead of the 290GB max for a SCSI Blade. If you've got 12U
available, I say go for it. Also, you might want to recommend using x336s
for the non-NFS servers, where storage is less of an issue. You'll save
money, power and space.

Paul