[DRBD-user] Implementing drbd with an existing filesystem

Dr J Pelan J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 10 21:25:43 CET 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, kmoogle wrote:

> Can I implement drdb without adversely affecting the primary fileserver?
> What changes would I need to make to the existing filesystems (if any)
> to either the primary or secondary in order to implement drbd?

If you are using LVM, you might be able to do the following (this is
off-the-top-of-my-crazy-head); create a live drbd device with only one
active backing store - i.e. your current spare machine. Then use LVM to
migrate your data off the existing storage onto the drbd device. Once the
primary storage is free it can then be attached and sync'd up. It may be
tricky but it should be do-able, unless I've forgotten something ;-).

The usual caveats apply and back-up as Lars suggests...

--
John P.