[DRBD-user] Debian install

Dave Dykstra dwdha at drdykstra.us
Wed Jun 29 18:27:01 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:42:30AM +0200, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
> Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> >I've been looking through the archives for DRDB-User list for info on
> >how exactly to do a Debian install, but I guess I'm really confused.
>
> >OK, I'm using sarge. I've installed:
>
> >module-assistant
> >kernel-headers
> >drbd
> >drbd0.7-utils
>
> You will need drbd0.7-module-source too.
>
> >Am I supposed to use module-assistant to help me build and install  drbd
> >or do I need to compile drbd into the kernel myself?
>
> DRBD allows both: to compile the DRBD module _into_ the kernel, or to
> compile it as a loadable module _against_ the kernel (headers).

Helmut gave his solutions as an expert, here's what I've come up with as a
newcomer after rebuilding drbd with module assistant against new kernels
several times.   His answer is more complete, but maybe this will help
you because it is simpler and I suspect you just want to get one way
that works.  Be sure to do what the comments say, except that the last
step in the comment is specific to my system; do whatever's corresponding
for yours.

- Dave

--------------------- drbdbuild ----------------
# This builds drbd from a drbd0.7-module-source package which creates
# a /usr/src/drbd0.7.tar.gz file.  Symlink that to drbd.tar.gz.
# After a new kernel is built, install the kernel-image package and
# the kernel-headers package (the latter goes into /usr/src).  Then
# make a symlink "scripts" in that directory to the scripts directory
# in the source.  Then cd to /usr/src and run this script as root
# giving the version string as a parameter.  Then move the .deb file
# that's built in /usr/src to /h/linshare/debian-cmc and run
# rescanpackages there.

if [ -z "$1" ]; then
    set -- `uname -r`
fi
KNAME=/usr/src/kernel-headers-$1
if [ ! -d $KNAME ]; then
    echo "$KNAME does not exist" >&2
    echo "Usage: $0 [kernel_name]" >&2
    exit 1
fi
if [ ! -L $KNAME/scripts ]; then
    echo "$KNAME/scripts should be a symlink to the source package" >&2
    exit 1
fi
# depmod should update the modules.dep timestamp so that the next reboot
# after the drbd module is installed the depmod -A will pull in drbd.
#  untested as of 6/20/05
set -x
depmod $1
module-assistant -t -k $KNAME clean drbd
module-assistant -t -k $KNAME build drbd