[DRBD-user] DRBD setup problem (Secondary/Unknown)

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Jun 23 17:15:47 CEST 2005

Warren Beldad wrote:

> Hi Lars,
>
> thank you so much for your quick reply.
> I already got the DRBD running, I just stop the iptables and the two
> nodes are now able to see each other. I already set up server1 as the
> primary and server2 as the secondary. Seems there is conflicting
> settings with my iptables. Thanks so much.
> But I have another problem, the two nodes hang up when it about to
> finished syncing. I noticed, when about 97% up, both machines hang up.
> As in totally hang up, the keyboard, mouse etc. does not work and the
> only workaround is just to reboot both machines. I tried this 4 times
> and of that 4 tries, all hang up. What maybe the problem for this?
> thanks so much,
> warren
<SNIP>
Your description looks very similar to what I experienced for a while with a
bad SCSI array, then I learned that run level 5 (X up all the time) prevents
you from seeing what the kernel does not like. Now all my server machines
are set to boot into run level 3.

Are the nodes running in run level 5? if so I have the following suggestions
to try before you try to sync again:
1) configure init to put the system in run level 3, instead of 5, prior to
attempting to sync, i.e., issue `telinit 3` prior to sync. This way
you might be able to see if there was a panic/Oops message.

2) if the system panics/Oops, copy the data down so that you can send it to
the
list if you don't understand it.  The data given by the panic usually gives
a reasonable reason for the panic. For Oops, running it through ksymoops
MIGHT make it so other people might understand what happened.

--
Todd Denniston