[DRBD-user] Kernel Panics when creating file system on the drbddevice

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Jun 23 17:06:39 CEST 2005

Rajkumar wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>         I'm running two machines with SLES9 SP1(  2.6.5-7.139-default ). I have
> setup with drbd (drbd-0.7.5-0.3) and heartbeat (heartbeat-1.2.3-2.3) to form
> a HA cluster. Both the machines are of same configuration. Here comes the
> drbd.conf file

<SNIP>
>  0: cs:SyncSource st:Secondary/Primary ld:Consistent
>     ns:247800 nr:0 dw:0 dr:247920 al:0 bm:15 lo:30 pe:6 ua:30 ap:0
>         [=====>..............] sync'ed: 27.6% (670752/918528)K
>         finish: 0:01:40 speed: 6,696 (5,628) K/sec

ASSUMPTION, you allowed it to finish the sync prior to creating the
filesystem.

> ( III )
>
> After the device creation, I tried to create a filesystem on a particular
> drbd device. But after sometime the kernel panics.
>
> Can anyone of you please tell me whether there is any problems in the setup
> or DRBD works only for local hard disk(IDE) and not for scsi device. Is my
> understanding is right??

DRBD has worked quite fine for me on SCSI.

Two suggestions:
1) configure init to put the system in run level 3, instead of 5, prior to
attempting to make the fs, i.e., issue `telinit 3` prior to mkfs. This way
you might be able to see what the panic message was.

2) when the system panics, copy the data down so that you can send it to the
list if you don't understand it.  The data given by the panic usually gives
a reasonable reason for the panic.

as a couple of side questions,
Who makes your SCSI disk [ARRAY?] and card?
Have you made sure all SCSI busses are terminated properly?
Do you have SCSI cables that don't need "gender bender"s to make all the
connections?

> Thanks in advance..
>
> Cordially
<SNIP>

P.S. You might want to let the legal department know that when the following
gets added to email going to mailing lists, it is ignored by all the
software of the list, and if you are lucky it gets ignored by people who
might know the answers to your questions.

>___________________
>
> This e-mail message may contain proprietary, confidential or legally
> privileged information for the sole use of the person or entity to
> whom this message was originally addressed. Any review, e-transmission
> dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon
> this information by persons or entities other than the intended
> recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error
> kindly delete  this e-mail from your records. If it appears that this
> mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, please notify
> us immediately at netadmin at patni.com and delete this mail.

Todd Denniston