[DRBD-user] DRBD setup problem (Secondary/Unknown)

Warren Beldad advisory22 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 14:38:58 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I am trying to mirror my existing ext3 to another node but I found it
hard to really setup DRBD. The device that i planned to mirror on one
machine is about  20 GB and the other is 30GB. Both my server machines
are running on FC2:
below are more detailed..

[root at server1 root]# uname -a
Linux server1 2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp #1 SMP Mon Mar 28 01:03:20 EST 2005
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root at server1 root]# rpm -qa drbd
drbd-0.7.10-8.rhfc2.at

[root at server2 root]# uname -a
Linux server1 2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp #1 SMP Mon Mar 28 01:03:20 EST 2005
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root at server1 root]# rpm -qa drbd
drbd-0.7.10-8.rhfc2.at

( before I start drbd, there is a problem that says /dev/drbd0 does
not exist, so i create a device using this command: for i in `seq 0
99`; do mknod -m 0660 /dev/drbd$i b 147 $i ; done. So i have now 100
drbd devices)

[root at server1 root]# /etc/init.d/drbd start
Starting DRBD resources:    [ d0 s0 n0 ].
 DRBD's startup script waits for the peer node(s) to appear.
 - In case this node was already a degraded cluster before the
   reboot the timeout is 120 seconds. [degr-wfc-timeout]
 - If the peer was available before the reboot the timeout will
   expire after 0 seconds. [wfc-timeout]
   (These values are for resource 'drbd0'; 0 sec -> wait forever)
 To abort waiting enter 'yes' [ 119]: [u [s

[root at server2 root]# /etc/init.d/drbd start
Starting DRBD resources:    [ d0 s0 n0 ].
 DRBD's startup script waits for the peer node(s) to appear.
 - In case this node was already a degraded cluster before the
   reboot the timeout is 120 seconds. [degr-wfc-timeout]
 - If the peer was available before the reboot the timeout will
   expire after 0 seconds. [wfc-timeout]
   (These values are for resource 'drbd0'; 0 sec -> wait forever)
 To abort waiting enter 'yes' [ 119]: [u [s

[root at server1 root]# cat /proc/drbd
version: 0.7.10 (api:77/proto:74)
SVN Revision: 1743 build by phil at mescal, 2005-01-31 12:22:07
 0: cs:WFConnection st:Secondary/Unknown ld:Inconsistent
    ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0
[root at server2 root]# cat /proc/drbd
version: 0.7.10 (api:77/proto:74)
SVN Revision: 1743 build by phil at mescal, 2005-01-31 12:22:07
 0: cs:WFConnection st:Secondary/Unknown ld:Inconsistent
    ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0

Why is it that the other machine appears to unknown? What am I doing
wrong or my steps are lacking?
I greatly appreciate for any responses.
Below is my drbd.conf

# global {
    # use this if you want to define more resources later
    # without reloading the module.
    # by default we load the module with exactly as many devices
    # as configured mentioned in this file.
    #
    #minor-count 5;

    # The user dialog counts and displays the seconds it waited so
    # far. You might want to disable this if you have the console
    # of your server connected to a serial terminal server with
    # limited logging capacity.
    # The Dialog will print the count each 'dialog-refresh' seconds,
    # set it to 0 to disable redrawing completely. [ default = 1 ]
    #
    # dialog-refresh 5; # 5 seconds

    # this is for people who set up a drbd device via the
    # loopback network interface or between two VMs on the same
    # box, for testing/simulating/presentation
    # otherwise it could trigger a run_tasq_queue deadlock.
    # I'm not sure whether this deadlock can happen with two
    # nodes, but it seems at least extremely unlikely; and since
    # the io_hints boost performance, keep them enabled.
    #
    # With linux 2.6 it no longer makes sense.
    # So this option should vanish.     --lge
    #
    # disable-io-hints;
# }

resource drbd0 {
  protocol      C;
  incon-degr-cmd "echo '!DRBD! pri on incon-degr' | wall ; sleep 60 ; halt -f";
  startup { wfc-timeout 0; degr-wfc-timeout     120; }
  disk { on-io-error detach; }
  syncer {
    rate        4M;
    group       3;   # sync when r2 is finished syncing.
  }

  on server1 {
    device      /dev/drbd0;
    disk        /dev/hdb1;