[DRBD-user] Re: [Vserver] failed to setup a guest on a DRBD-device

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer at gmx.at
Thu Jun 16 13:10:13 CEST 2005

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 03:04:10AM +0200, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:

 >>Debian Sarge
 >>kernel-patch-vserver 1.9.5.3
 >>util-vserver   0.30.204-5sarge
 >>kernel-image-2.6.8+vserver_custom01_i386
 >>drbd0.7-module-2.6.8+vserver_0.7.10-3+custom01_i386

> I'd advise to update to 2.0-rc4 and 0.30.207
> (IIRC, the latter one should be in broken^Wunstable :)

With utils upgraded, it is the same.
Hopefully I have time tomorrow to build 2.0-rc4.
Or are there working .debs somewhere?

>>But I would like to have everything belonging to the guest on a
>>DRBD-device, to restart the guest in case of failover on the other node.

> a single guest, or the /vservers (/var/lib/vservers
> on debian) path?

Obviously only one guest per DRBD-device makes sense in conjunction with
heartbeat. But for testing^Wtrial /vservers would be enough.

> should work fine with /dev/drbd0 mounted at /var/lib/vservers

Thnx, some solutions are so simple;-)

> but might give 'unexpected' issues on /var/lib/vservers/ha-vser42
> (the common path for vservers is configured at build time, and
> for debian this is /var/lib/vservers)

Is there a special reason for hardcoding?
As a naive user I would expect to configure the /path/to/my/vserver
_per_ vserver.
And newvserver(1) of debian-vservertools says

| --vsroot          location of "/vserver/" directory Required:

whatever this means ... it's not the only error in this manpage.

>>After some trial and error I did 'cp -a /etc/vservers' to /ha-vser42,
>>mkdir /ha-vser42/var/<bla>, exchanged /etc/vservers against a symbolic
>>link, changed the symbolic links in .defaults

> why the heck /etc/vservers? those are the config files,
> and I doubt you want to put those into the drbd?

Why not. It's a recommended method to keep the config in sync on both
nodes of a cluster. But I can live with scp, rsync etc., if
/etc/vservers does not change often, AND if I know that it changed.

>>cel600:/ha-vser42/etc/vservers/.defaults# vserver -v vs24 build --force
>>-m debootstrap --hostname vs24.nack.at --netdev eth0 --interface
>>192.168.0.27/24 --context 24 -- -d sarge -m http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/
>>chattr: Function not implemented while setting flags on
>>/etc/vservers/.defaults/vdirbase/vs24
>>I: Retrieving debootstrap.invalid_dists_sarge_Release
>>[...]
>>I: Extracting libstdc++5...
>>chroot: cannot run command `mount': Permission denied

> also make sure that your debootstrap is not
> buggy or some 'special' security is keeping
> you from installing a 'working' debian system
> with debootstrap ...

I cannot see a difference via 'ls -all' and 'lsattr' between the default
/var/lib/vservers and /dev/drbd0 mounted on it.
Here are the fstab entries:

/dev/hda7 / ext3    defaults,user_xattr,errors=remount-ro 0      1
/dev/hda5 none      swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hda8 /save     ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
#/dev/drbd0 /var/lib/vservers  ext3    rw,user,noauto,user_xattr,errors=rem$
/dev/drbd0 /var/lib/vservers  ext3    rw,user,noauto,errors=remount-ro 0
    1

'user_xattr' or not does not make a difference.
Maybe I do not understand some basics.
Hints welcome.

> if those 'unusual' permission denied messages
> (please check the kernel logs for more info)
> remain after updating, please let us know as
> it might be an issue which results from the
> combination of drbd and linux-vserver ...

Nothing found in the logs.
The only abnormal messages are

Jun 15 23:16:54 cel600 kernel:  limit=19272832
Jun 15 23:16:54 cel600 kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
Jun 15 23:16:54 cel600 kernel: drbd0: rw=1, want=19319512, limit=19272832
[last 2 lines repeat very often]

Maybe 'tar' or 'dump' caused this, as I tried to move a vserver, but I
cannot find out the time of these actions. It does not happen during
'vserver build'. To be sure I redid a 'mke2fs -j /dev/drbd0', which does
not help.

> (i.e. we will look into it)

I cc this to drbd-user, maybe someone has a hint.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer