[DRBD-user] Recovery if active heartbeat dies before drbd

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Jun 7 23:53:34 CEST 2005

/ 2005-06-07 15:26:33 -0500
\ Dave Dykstra:
> On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 09:14:17AM -0500, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> > In order to test heartbeat's stonith, I have been doing kill -9 on the
> > heartbeat processes on the active server.  What happens then is after
> > heartbeat's timeout period, the standby server uses stonith to pull
> > the power on the active server and immediately tries to bring up its
> > drbd as primary.  That fails, I presume because its drbd still thinks
> > the other side is primary.  I don't think heartbeat passes on any drbd
> > error messages to /var/log/messages, so it is just a guess, but failover
> > works if I just pull the power plug on the whole active server or kill
> > heartbeat & drbd proceses at the same time, so that must be the problem.
>
> I've seen no response to this question.  Lars, what do you think?

first,
from DRBD ChangeLog

    0.7.6 (api:77/proto:74)
    -----
     * Improvements to the drbddisk script, to do the right thing
       in case Heartbeat is configured with a small timeout than DRBD.

and second: heartbeat 1.2.3 still has a bug (which is already fixed in the cvs
branch STABLE_1_2) that ignores failure of resource scripts, i.e.
if one resource fails to start, it still continues and (tries to) start
resources later in the list that (may) depend on the earlier, failed
resource.

> > Wouldn't it make sense for drbd, when told to become primary, to do a
> > quick check, maybe one or two queries with one-second timeouts, to see
> > if its peer is still alive and if not then go ahead and become primary?

I don't think so.
but you are free to configure smaller timeouts for drbd.
just be carefull that you don't lose connection because of too short
timeout periods.