[DRBD-user] Questions I'm sure have been asked before..

nick nick at mobilia.it
Mon Jun 6 12:07:30 CEST 2005

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the answers looking through the list
archives, and I couldn't see a search function, so without further ado.

I've got two identical machines (pentium 4, 2 80 gb SATA drives, 512mb
ram, drbd 0.7.10, CentOS 3.3, although with the ultramonkey kernel for
the heartbeat integration) which will be running as HA mailservers, with
two DRBD drives drbd0 which will contain /var and drbd1 which will
contain /home. The idea behind my setup is to make sure that no mail
gets lost either from the spool or the home users drives in case of a
system failure.

The drbd drives will be running on top of two Raid partitions /dev/md2
and /dev/md3, I've created two 150mb partitions for the meta data,
/dev/sda7 and /dev/sdb7.

The thing is, I already have data and a filesystem present on md2 and 3,
ext3 to be exact, and most of the replies I've seen on this subject seem
to be aplicable to people with internal metadata, in that they advise
shrinking the filesystem first (I'm assuming here, correct me if I'm wrong).

Before I take the leap in changing my fstab, and mounting the drbd
drives, what exactly do I need to know, then do? I'd prefer not to lose
any data (although it wouldn't be the end of the world), and I'm not
sure exactly what effect creating a filesystem would have on the
existing data. I'd be glad to read up on it, if anyone has any pertinent
links.

Also, I could use some more information on heartbeat integration, most
of the ones I've seen list datadisk, but in my /etc/ha.d/resource.d/
there's a drbddisk, is this the same thing? Does anyone have any links
or info I can read which deal witht he latest versions of DRBD and
heartbeat?

Thanks for any answers, and if I've neglected to include any necessary
info, please let me know.

Nick