[DRBD-user] DRBD w/ Postfix

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer at gmx.at
Thu Jul 14 12:47:48 CEST 2005

Curtis Vaughan wrote:

> My question is this. Obviously one directory structure that I will be
> synchronizing (making a drbd block device) would be /home
> However, although I would like to be able to synchronize all users  and
> their passwords, and all postfix settings, that would mean  making /etc
> also a drbd block device. But that's not possible now is  it - or not
> advisable as I would be synchronizing files that are box  specific
> (/etc/fstab, /etc/network/interfaces..., /etc/hostname, etc.).

In case of postfix I cannot give you advice.

But maybe it gives you some ideas how I did with Apache:

- configure the directories of the virtual hosts to be on the drbd device
- same with the logs of the virtual hosts, as I want to have them after
failover
- this needs to modify logrotate
- even the log analyzer (webalyzer in my case) needs a check of the
configuration
- all other applications, which have a strong relationship to web need a
check, if they write data which also should failover. E.g. munin in my
case, which needs /var/lib/munin and /var/www/munin to be on drbd
- some of the above applications have cron jobs. I rewrote them adding a
'test', if the necessary files are available (= "I am primary").
- I do the necessary sync of /etc on file level.
- all of the above 'web related' stuff is placed on the same drbd
resource, which reflects the idea of 'resource group' within heartbeat
in a nice and easy way.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer