[DRBD-user] 3 simple questions for a nifty setup

Diego Julian Remolina dijuremo at ibb.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 1 16:36:05 CEST 2005

> whenever i try to mount the drbd/0 device on the secondary,
> i get the following ...

You cannot mount a drbd device unless it is marked as primary.  Not even read only.

> ---snipp----------
> www-2:/# mount -t ext3 /dev/drbd/0 /ha/

This seems wrong /dev/drbd/0  it should be /dev/drbd0, but then again, it may be
differet on debian than in RHEL.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

> mount: block device /dev/drbd/0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: /dev/drbd/0 already mounted or /ha/ busy

This message also comes out when your drbd device is not set up as primary on
any of your two test servers.  Say you have not worked out the heartbeat
configuration and you reboot your two servers, then when they come up, they are
just secondary/secondary.  So when you try to manually mount /dev/drbd0 on /ha
then it does not work.

So you need to manually run:
drbdadm primary YOUR_RESOURCE_NAME_AS_TYPED_IN_DRBD.CONF

Then you can mount it on the server that is acting as drbd primary.

I am in the process of setting up a mail and web server and I have decent
install notes of what I have done so far to get drbd, heartbeat and starting
apache on a RHEL4 machine.  Still a lot to do to finish my configurations, but I
can send you my install notes so far if you want me to.  Just e-mail me directly.

Diego

Diego