[DRBD-user] Re: install error...

Nick nick at mobilia.it
Tue Feb 8 17:48:31 CET 2005

Nick wrote:

> I'm running RHEL3.3 (Centos) with a "custom" ultramonkey kernel
> (2.4.21-27.0.2.EL.um.1smp), trying to install drbd 0.7.10.
>
> Everything seems to work out fine, make mrproper, copy the config from
> the /boot, make -s oldconfig_nonint ; (etc), edit Makefile to match
> Extraversion, make dep, make clean all (both with and without CC= and
> KDIR=) all of these things work without any errors.
>
> when I make install though, I get this error:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/drbd-0.7.10/user'
> install -d /sbin/
> install -m 755 drbdsetup /sbin/
> install: cannot stat `drbdsetup': No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/drbd-0.7.10/user'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> In the user/ directory, there's a file called drbdsetup.c,
>
> [root at newmail1 user]# ls
> drbdadm_adjust.c  drbdadm_main.c    drbdadm_scanner.fl  drbdsetup.c
> drbdadm.h         drbdadm_parser.y  drbd_limits.h       Makefile
>
> but as I'm not really that experienced with building from source, I
> can't honestly say if that's what it's looking for. I've tried making
> the tools, but since I'm not patching the kernel, I was under the
> impression that it wasn't neccessary (and, in fact, it doesn't work).
>
> Also, if I make install from the drbd-0.7.10/drbd directory, it installs
> the drbd.o file, a step which it doesn't even attempt from the
> drbd-0.7.10 directory.
>
> Am I missing a step?
>
> Making a mistake somewhere?
>
> Thanks in advance, Nick

Ok, as a followup, I'm not sure exactly if this is pertinent only for
me, or users of drbd > 7.3, but when you compile the drbd code, you need
to do it from /usr/src/drbd-0.7.10/  directory, not the
/usr/src/drbd-0.7.10/drbd/ directory (as specified in the install
instructions). Same with the make install.

Anyhow, it's working now, I assume. Possibly something to update in the
install files?