[DRBD-user] Kernel 2.6.13-15-default UPDATE per YOU to 2.6.13-15.7 ?

LLLActive@GMail.com lllactive at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 20:43:39 CET 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 10:00 -0500, Brad Barnett wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:19:17 +0100
> "LLLActive at GMail.com" <lllactive at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I managed to get DRBD 0.7.14 made and built on my 2.6.13-15-default (#1
> > Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux) SUSE 10.0
> > Boxed version. It is running, switches primary and secondary with
> > drbdadm, mounts the primary etc. I'm on to the heartbeat installation
> > now. The second DRBD installation is due next week.
> >
> > Today the update for the 2.6.13-15-default (#1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC
> > 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux) was announced and installable via
> > YOU.
> >
> > Question: With newbie uncertainty in mind, will it do something to my
> > installation that was made and built (including RPM) on my box. If so,
> > (1) how can I update DRBD for the 'new' Kernel painlessly;
> > (2) if I test the new kernel as it is delivered with the current build
> > of my DRBD, and it strikes, how can I revert back to the old kernel?
> > (not done that yet);
> > (3) Advise me if it is necessary to update the kernel (for the
> > 'stability improvements' and security fixes for the x86_64).
>
> One thing about kernel updates you should do, is look at the changelog.
> For example, if you see something about "ext3 filesystem corruption
> fixed".. and you're using ext3.. it's probably a good idea to update. ;)
> The same goes for hardware issues.  Why upgrade a kernel, if the only fix
> is to a network card you don't have?
>
> However, in terms of security fixes, this really depends upon your box.
> Do you care if a local user -> root exploit in your current kernel is
> possible?  It depends on what type of exploit it is, if there are any
> local users on the box, how many and what type of services you run, and
> how secure your environment is.

OK, I am putting the 4 boxes in an own Gigabit segment 10.9.8.0. Only
two with heartbeat as Appservers will be accessable in the normal Lan as
NFS servers. The drbd servers are only available to the appservers. So,
don't change a running system ...

> If your local lan doesn't even have external network access, you only run
> NFS on those boxes, the privilege escalation issue you see in the
> kernel changelong, may not be applicable.
>
> After all, upgrading a kernel can _lead_ to bugs you do not have yet!  The
> same goes for security issues.

Another newbie question. I notice many use Ext3 rather than ReiserFS. If
space is not the issue as pointed out below, what is the best
performance FS with DRBD. Is there a preferred FS for use with DRBD, and
if so why? I would think DRBD block device mirroring does not care about
the file system.

Summary of Results
(http://navindra.blogspot.com/2004/10/kde-dot-news-ext3s-miserable-failure.html)

KDE Dot News