[DRBD-user] On-going problem with drbd locking up users.

Roy Bixler rcb at press.uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 8 17:30:18 CET 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 08:22 am, Alex Kerr wrote:
>      First off let me say that this is the first time I have been on a
> mailing list like this. So if I am not following procedures correctly
> please bear with me and let me know. I am going to provide as much
> information about my problem as I can so I apologize in advance for
> the length of this post. I am running on two Intel SC5200 servers
> running Fedora Core 1. The RPM I used to install drbd was
> drbd-0.6.8-1.i386.rpm (I dont know if there is a newer one, but this
> is the one we have tested on identical servers with the same OS). We
> have many sites running this configuration with no problem. However I
> have one site that has been having problems for about 6 months.

That is a fairly old version.  There is a more recent 0.6 version available,
0.6.13.  DRBD is currently on the 0.7 series, which is pretty stable by now.

Also, you didn't mention the kernel version you are using.  It may be relevant
because for instance some Red Hat versions of the 2.4 kernels have scheduler
bugs which cause problems for DRBD.

> In addition to that I am also quite often seeing this in the
> /var/log/ha-log however I don't get this message every time I get the one
> above.
>
> heartbeat: 2005/12/05_13:11:04 WARN: Late heartbeat: Node state1: interval
> 18050
>  ms

Also, which version of heartbeat are you running?  I encountered problems
similar to yours running Heartbeat 1.0.4 on a heavily loaded mail server.
Since upgrading to Heartbeat 1.2.3, the problems so far haven't reappeared.

--
Roy Bixler <rcb at press.uchicago.edu>
The University of Chicago Press