[DRBD-user] 3 simple questions for a nifty setup

David david at davidbranford.net
Wed Aug 24 17:16:30 CEST 2005

Thanks paddy for your reply. I think I am better understanding the
differences - I am not after the full-scale mysql clustering solution; I
don't need it/have the resources.

What do you mean when you say you have mysql running on top of drbd? Have
you got both PC's mysql data directories separate, or do they share the same
data files? (ie. /mnt/drbd0/var/lib/mysql)

I was wondering if such a setup as the latter is possible, since it seems
logical to me and pretty straight-forward; if a server running mysql
crashes, it must reboot and recover. If the primary server of a two-server
heartbeat "cluster" crashes, same thing - it's just a different machine
which must recover from the cluster, it is not privy to any extra/different
information... or is it?

Does anybody see any danger with this proposed setup? Anybody actually doing
this?

> > am interested in doing the same, but if I go the 'proper' mysql
> cluster way,
> > I need 3 machines, and I only have 2.
>
> My limited understanding was that mysql supports two different
> architectures:
> replication and clustering.  The replication is asynchronous master->slave
> (and thus requires a minimum of only two boxes), while the clustering is
> truly multi-master and synchronous, but requires the whole database to be
> loaded in RAM (which is out of the question for my app).  When I
> looked at
> postgres I thought it was a similar story there, but I thought I saw
> something the other day suggesting otherwise.  Sorry I don't recall the
> details.
>
> If you're even considering the 'proper mysql cluster' side by
> side against the
> kind of thing I'm doing, then I suggest you look very carefully at your
> requirements as they are really _not_ the same thing.
>
> Where mysql on drbd has been a win for me is in admin time.

What do you mean by mysql on drbd - could you say (briefly) how you have
mysql running on drbd (ie. which files are available to which servers?)

Thanks again,

David.