[DRBD-user] Meta device speed

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Aug 22 09:49:09 CEST 2005

/ 2005-08-21 23:50:17 +0930
\ David:
> Hi all,
>
> I was just wondering - when using external meta data, stored on a separate
> physical device, how critical is the speed of that physical device to the
> overall performance of the drbd resource?

not too much. we have all sorts of tricks in place to reduce the number
of meta data updates. you could do
 watch -n1 cat /proc/drbd
and watch the bm: and al: numbers.
each increment there is a synchronous write to the meta data.
this happens during setup, during resync, and every now and then
during normal operation. if it happens too often during normal
operation, you could increase the al-size parameter (with implications
for the resync time in case of a primary crash).