[DRBD-user] Backup across wide area network

Jeff Buck jeffb at umci.com
Mon Aug 15 21:48:05 CEST 2005

Backing up servers over a wan is pretty straight forward using rsync.
Rsync is pretty darn reliable, and faster than I ever dreamed possible
for that situation.

If you actually meant running DRBD over a wan, then don't bother to
continue to read. If you meant backups like nightly backups then:

We're a construction company, and we have job sites all over the place
with a server and a bunch of guys crammed into a trailer (or 4). Our
standard setup is to get whatever DSL is available in the area, and
nightly backups run over the dsl using rsync. Our worst case scenario
was at an airport, where we could only get ISDN, and only one of the
channels would stay up most of the time. We had about 30 people on that
site, about 2/3 of which were cad jockeys of one sort or another. By the
end of the job rsync was backing up the 35 gigs on the fileserver
*RELIABLY* over a 64k connection that went to a users house, where a
server there vpn'd to our network using the users standard dsl
connection.

Our situation is probably the ideal for rsync since many of those files
are not changed at all on a daily basis, but the differential copy that
rsync does still seems to work *VERY* efficiently on all sorts of file
types even when they are updated every day.

You might want to combine LVM snapshots with rsync if your data can be a
moving target all night.