[DRBD-user] Using RAM drives withing DRBD

Frans Grotepass fmgrotepass at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 10:59:53 CEST 2005

Hi,

We have an embedded system and require an efficient and elegant method
of transfer from the clients to the server. The embedded clients have
512MB ram and 266MHz PPC processors running ElinOS. The clients pose
roughly 300k-500k data per second and there are usually 4 clients per
system. Of the 300-500k per second, only a small percentage needs to be
preserved for further processing.

Since a datastream of 300-500k to harddisk tends to trash the disks,
especially since it is not highly important to keep, the thought is to
place the data on a ramdisk. The original plan was to use rsync to copy
the data to the server, but since rsync can clutter the filesystem with
tmp files if the connection is moggy, it is not the chosen method for an
embedded system. I thought of using DRBD to do an intelligent sync from
the clients to the server. The exact architecture is not planned yet,
since I still need to do some tests. The data flow is exclusively from
the clients to the server. Other suggestions are also welcome.

Best regards,

Frans