[DRBD-user] Fw: Where is How to DRBDB ?

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Aug 5 13:58:00 CEST 2005

/ 2005-08-03 10:57:38 -0400
\ Diego Julian Remolina:
> Sorry, I did not mean to spam the whole lits with the Howtos, but the Reply-to
> header tricked my mail client...

well, blame me for this.
mailman intercepted it (40K limit, currently),
but I allowed it, still, since it looked ok.

> In any case, if you see I am doing something wrong in the howto's, let me
> know... :)

now I found time to sort of review it.
it seems to be somewhat redhat specific, so some steps may not be
neccessary (rc.modules) or slightly different on other distributions.
the EXIT_ZOMBIE patch should no longer be neccessary.

a separate partition for the meta data is nice, but it should preferably
be located on a separate spindle... (think seek time for meta data updates).
so sdbX if your storage is on sda.
with LVM and a number of pvs, you can specify an explicit pv on lvcreate.
this is of course not neccessary, but may improve performance.

suprisingly, it is not neccessary that the device minor numbers and the
order of resources in the config file match. that is why there is an
explicit "device" line in the disk section of the resources.
but to avoid confusion, one should probably not "randomize" these things.

there are precompiled heartbeat and drbd packages, so you don't
neccessarily need to bother with compilation and dependency problems yourself.

the interessting Howto links are
http://www.linux-ha.org/DRBD
http://www.linux-ha.org/QuickStart07
http://www.linux-ha.org/GettingStarted