[DRBD-user] Questions to get DRBD + Hearbeat to work

Diego Julian Remolina dijuremo at ibb.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 2 16:36:18 CEST 2005

> ^^ is the above now a funtioning mirror? Or do I have to
> mount /dev/drbd0 on the Secondary as well?
>

> ^^ is the above now a funtioning mirror? Or do I have to
> mount /dev/drbd0 on the Secondary as well?

It looks good, but the only way for you to be totally convinced it is working is
as follows (if you do not have heartbeat configured yet).

1. On openfiler while being drbd primary:
touch /mnt/disk/file_created_on_openfiler
umount /mnt/disk

2. On openfiler2 currently in secondary state:
drbdadm primary YOUR_DRBD_DEVICE_NAME
cat /proc/drbd and make sure that openfiler2 is now showing:
0: cs:Connected st:Primary/Secondary ld:Consistent
which means that openfiler2 is now acting as drbd primary
Now mount
mkdir /mnt/disk
mount /dev/drbd0 /mnt/disk
ls /mnt/disk
You should see the file:  file_created_on_openfiler
So now create one from openfiler2:
touch /mnt/disk/file_created_on_openfiler2
umount /mnt/disk

3. Back on openfiler, make it be drbd primary:
drbdadm primary YOUR_DRBD_DEVICE_NAME
cat /proc/drbd and make sure that openfiler is now showing:
0: cs:Connected st:Primary/Secondary ld:Consistent
now
mount /dev/drbd0 /mnt/disk
ls /mnt/disk

Now you should see the two files:
file_created_on_openfiler
file_created_on_openfiler2

Voila, you just switched machines and wrote to their own file systems which got
replicated to the other machine trhough drbd.

Note you can NOT have a drbd device mounted on the secondary machine while it is
on drbd Secondary state, not even read only.  The only way you can mount it is
when the device shows as drbd primary on that machine.

HTH,

Diego