[DRBD-user] Minimum/recommended system requirements

Chris de Vidal Chris at deVidal.tv
Wed Apr 20 16:08:56 CEST 2005

Thanks for your quick response!

Helmut Wollmersdorfer said this while chewing gum:
>> So my question: do our boxes meet the minimum/recommended spec?  Both
>> are
>> identical:
>> DRBD 0.7.10
>> CentOS 3.4 (same as RedHat Enterprise Linux 3)
>> Celeron 600
>> 1GB ECC RAM
>> 120GB drives (don't recall the DMA/RPM speed but I can find out if
>> necessary)
>> 100MBit Intel NICs connected by crossover (don't recall which chipset
>> but
>> I can find out if necessary)
>
> This should be appropriate for DRBD, but maybe not enough for the
> additional applications.
> I am running EPIAs at 600 MHz (~Celeron 500), 512 MB, 80+160 = 240 GB,
> 100 Mbit NIC, very fine with DRBD.

Hmm... so do you run DRBD on a standalone box and run NFS+Heartbeat on
top?  This is a two-node cluster and I need my apps.

>> P.S. I just had a thought: perhaps I need to run hdparm.
>
> If your HDDs run with UDMA 133 you should get read speeds over 50 MB/sec
> with 'hdparm -tT /dev/hdx. Second thing is to measure network speed,
> e.g. with 'bing <own-IP> <peer-IP>.

As I mentioned in a previous email, hdparm is running at boot.  We've got
UDMA 33 and getting decent speeds.

CD

Have you ever lied, no matter the color?  I have.  Have you ever stolen
anything, no matter the value?  I have.  Have you ever lusted?  I have.
Jesus said whoever looks at a woman with lustful intent has already
committed adultery with her in his heart.

We are lying, thieving, adulterers at heart and will face judgement one day.

There is good news for us!  "God shows his love for us in that while we
were still sinners, Christ died for us.  Since, therefore, we have now
been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the
wrath of God." (Romans 5:8,9)