[DRBD-user] Network Outages Query

Rafe Slattery Rafe.Slattery at iquate.com
Tue Apr 12 12:54:21 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm running a DRBD/HA (Active/Passive using serial cable ) config that seems
to be working ok but I have a query on whether what I am seeing is expected
behaviour or not.

H1 & H2 are 2 identical dell servers running RHEL4, Heartbeat & DRBD.
Failover works ok and the disk mounts fine on both servers.

As a test I have been pulling the power/ network cables / power off switches
etc.

My query is around the following.

If H1 is active and I pull the network cable H2 takes over fine mounts the
disk and all is well.

However when I reconnect the network cable into H1, I get an error and at
least 1 drbd process shuts down on H1. checking /proc/drbd on H2 now shows
Primary/Unknown and on H1 its Unknown/Secondary.

I then need to do a failover and restart drbd on both nodes to get back to a
Primary/Secondary setup.

What I thought should happen would be that DRBD on H1 goes, oh crap, I'm not
the main man any more. better sync up with the other primary.

I wont go posting configs etc until I find out if this is wrong or not.

All info / pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rafe

Rafe Slattery,
iQuate

Tel (USA): 1-866-297 2339
Web: http://www.iquate.com <http://www.iquate.com/>
Tel  (int): +353 1 630 2223
Fax (int): +353 1 457 6491
Managing IT Solutions - Making IT easier.