[DRBD-user] 0.6.10, sync should be in background?

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Mon Apr 11 21:25:28 CEST 2005

On 2005-04-11T12:54:52, george young <gry at ll.mit.edu> wrote:

> > Why were your users waiting?
> The boot process hung executing "/etc/rc.d/drbd start" until the sync
> finished.  Networks, logins, file systems, etc. were not available until
> the sync completed and the boot could finish.

That's the default and most correct configuration for drbd 0.6 and
heartbeat.

As drbd 0.6 couldn't take over while it was still the receiving end of a
sync, but heartbeat isn't smart enough to know that, it might try to
take over resources and instead cause loss of service. So, in drbd 0.6,
it's better if the secondary doesn't come back online w/heartbeat before
it's not completely synced: It couldn't do anything anyway.

> > pig-db could have (should have?) taken over pig-app's work (via heartbeat
> > configuration) until pig-app was fully ready to come back on line.
> Failover did not happen due to an as yet un-diagnosed problem in pig-db.
> I don't think there's any way this could have affected the wait/nowait
> behavior on pig-app.

No, that's probably separate. But, that's what you can change; the wait
behaviour you do not want to change, trust me.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at suse.de>

--
High Availability & Clustering