[DRBD-user] Which filesystem on hearbeat+mysql+drbd

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Sep 30 01:39:05 CEST 2004

/ 2004-09-30 11:12:03 +1200
\ James Doherty:
> On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 04:57, Wile wrote:
> > Hi, I need to know which filesystem is recommended to the following
> > configuration..... hearbeat+mysql+drbd, and kernel 2.6?? (or 2.4 (another
> > recommendation please))
>
> During testing here, I had a test machine using ReiserFS on my DRBD
> device. I set up NFS to share that filesystem and I mounted it on

NFS is a completely different workload compared to MySQL ...

> another machine. I then started bonnie++ benchmark on it. ReiserFS
> produced a lot of errors and prevented access to the filesystem
> completely, even after I stopped the benchmark (I can't recall what the
> errors were - this was a few months ago). The only way to fix it was to
> restart the DRBD machine.
>
> I tried the same thing with ext3, and although the machine slowed down
> considerably (as you might expect) I was still able to access the
> filesystem. Needless to say, our DRBD setup uses ext3. If anyone is
> going to try to replicate this problem, I was using Debian Woody and
> kernel 2.4.26.

I'm only interessted in:
 did you trigger the same errors without drbd,
 rest of the setup the same?

if it triggered only with drbd,
 then I'd want to know why.
if you don't know, why not? :)
if it did this all the time:
 wtf did debian do to reiserfs to make it break?

> We're using a 2.4 kernel (2.4.27) in our setup, mainly because its been
> well tested and partly because I don't see the need to upgrade to 2.6
> just yet.

ext2,ext3 had performance problems on SMP with concurrent writers,
something in the block allocator.
was that solved meanwhile?
though, with mysql doing mostly rewrites (virtually all blocks are
already allocated).

	Lars Ellenberg