[DRBD-user] [BUG] drbd 0.7.4 reconnect problem after network failure

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Sep 21 16:16:52 CEST 2004

/ 2004-09-21 14:19:14 +0100
\ Steve Purkis:
> On Sep 21, 2004, at 12:31, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
>
> >/ 2004-09-21 08:48:51 +0100
> >\ Steve Purkis:
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>It seems DRBD 0.7.4 cannot recover from a network failure.
> >
> >nonsense.
> >see below.
>
> [snip explanation]
>
> Ta for the explanation.  To summarize, the problem is that when the
> primary's NIC is disconnected, the secondary takes over and DRBD ends
> up in a split-brain state.  Even though the only modifications done on
> the original primary are to de-activate the device, it has still
> changed independently of the current primary.  DRBD (correctly) notices
> the discrepancy, and bails out to avoid nasty conflicts.
>
> After thinking through things, I still think that from a layman's point
> of view this is a functional bug -- ideally drbd should recognize the
> fact that it's in this state, and work around it ;-).  But now I
> appreciate the difficulties.  Stonith is an option, yes, but one I'd
> prefer not to use if I can avoid it.

when it was all automatic, then it would just work, because of fencing.
if some operator did these things, then he is expected to know what he
is doing, and on promoting the not connected secondary to primary he
should use the --human flag.

a-ha!
 :)

> >	we are going to provide a config mechanism somewhen, where
> >	one can configure that the node with less modification will
> >	be chosen, or the current primary will be chosen, or that
> >	... there are many possible ways.
>
> Hmm... I'm quite interested in these options...  it's true that a node
> with less modifications will typically need to be the one that gets
> sync'd.  Might be an idea to let them be rules (ie: if current primary
> AND has more modifications ...).
>
> Thinking out loud...

remember: if you think here about how to cope with multiple failures:
	happy thinking. will give your brain a tough twist...

if you just think how to make drbd to
do what you (as an operator) mean,
rather do what drbd expects the operator to do.

  yes, I know, we should better consolidate the documentation and
  hints, and more prominently give advice for the weird multiple
  failure corner cases.  but somewhere there is all this
  expertise: if all else fails, contact linbit.

> What about a preventative option:
> 	a. become secondary & discard modifications on connection loss
> 	(ok, so that's crap for primaries - forget it)

hehehehe... :)

> On that train of thought, a command to discard all changes since last
> connected to peer could be handy?  Something like the 'invalidate', but
> one that doesn't force a complete resync.

you can always resort to manual override of the generation counters...
but that is intentionally undocumented :)

> Sounds like it's more of a high-level problem when I think about it...
> Maybe better solved at the FS or failover layer.  I can see why human
> interaction here is a good thing.
>

> >the interessting point is what do we _do_ now.
> >and I think we are not too bad currently.
>
> I agree ;-)
> I'm just trying to give feedback as I learn to help improve drbd.

thank you for that. really.
and please continue to do so.

	Lars Ellenberg