[DRBD-user] drbd on Redhat Advanced server 2.4.9-3.49

Steve Purkis steve.purkis at multimap.com
Tue Sep 21 15:27:07 CEST 2004

On Sep 21, 2004, at 13:38, Robert Fowler wrote:

> I have also downloaded the drbd version 0.7.4 source code but cannot
> find details on how to compile for redhat.  If I unzip the package and
> type makes  I get advised the present kernel configuration has modules
> disabled.  Type make config and enable loadable module support.  Then
> build a kernel with module support enabled. ??? What does this mean in
> English ,

It literally means 'rebuild your linux kernel' - the core of the
operating system.  You'll have to install it too.. perhaps not the
easiest thing to do if you're new to Linux.

You may find this HowTo guide helpful:

	http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

> I am new to redhat and this is first time to compile something.  I
> tried “ make config” but this states No rule to make target ?

Recompiling your kernel & getting DRBD up & running by compiling from
source will be difficult if you've never compiled anything on Linux
before...  I suggest you do some reading.  This may help you get
started:

	http://www.start-linux.com/articles/article_67.php

-Steve