[DRBD-user] Secondary fails to see primary

Gareth Ansell ccx264 at coventry.ac.uk
Mon Sep 20 15:54:05 CEST 2004

Hi,

We have encountered the following problem with drbd in all versions from
about 5.x to 7.4, and any help would be much appreciated.

We have a master and a slave machine, running on the same subnet.
Occasionally when we stop drbd on the secondary and then start it, drbd
will fail to see the master.

Instead the secondary will report that it is:
Secondary/Unknown
and the master will be
Primary/Unknown.

Of course the network is fine and it is possible to ping, ssh, etc the
master from the secondary.  It is only drbd which cannot detect each
other.

It is sometimes possible to force the machines to 'see' each other by
running drbdadm connect all, but this may need to be done several times
until it has an effect.

Has anybody else had similar problems, and how did they resolve them?

Also, we are connecting our machines via a Gigabit ethernet connection
on a private switched network.  Can anybody give me an idea of how to
tweak the drbd.conf file in order to maximise the bandwith available?

many thanks

Gareth Ansell