[DRBD-user] [REQ] heartbeat auto_failback support

Steve Purkis steve.purkis at multimap.com
Mon Sep 20 15:02:20 CEST 2004

On Sep 20, 2004, at 13:43, Lars Ellenberg wrote:

> / 2004-09-20 13:06:25 +0100
> \ Steve Purkis:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> [snip!]
>
> what you can do is:
> have a secondary that currently is sync target, and promote that to
> primary.
> then you have a Primary being sync target.  no problem.

Hmm..  well, that's the idea.

> what you can NOT do is: have a Primary happily running along and being
> used, and then suddenly decide that what it thought to be valid data is
> no longer valid, and you want to change the data underneath it.
> this is similar to have a database running on some file system on top
> of
> /dev/sda, and then doing dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda. we cannot allow
> this. it just does not make sense.

As far as I was aware, that's not what I'm trying to do..  likely a
case of silly user strikes again.

> so what I like to know is what exact failure scenario leads to
> the log above. what is the sequence of events, and please start
> with "both nodes happily humming along", do not skip right into
> "... and then it does not work any longer" as you did above.

That figures -- I was actually compiling a step-by-step email of what I
did, then thought "nah, it seems to be a known issue, don't bore people
with the detail".  Ah well, as I've moved onto something else, I'll see
if I can re-create the scenario later on this afternoon.

> I suspect it is some configuration mistake on your side.

Quite probable, considering I'm new to DRBD...

I'll paste the config files below -- might be enough to start on.

What I suspect is that Heartbeat transfers the services to the
'original primary' before drbd gets a chance to start synchronizing.

-Steve

/etc/ha.d/haresources:
	p4test1.multimap.com drbddisk::p4root drbddisk::p4logs
Filesystem::/dev/drbd0::/usr/local/perforce::ext3
Filesystem::/dev/drbd1::/var/log/p4::ext3 192.168.10.200/24 p4d
	p4test2.multimap.com

/etc/drbd.conf:
	resource p4root {
	  protocol C;
	  incon-degr-cmd "echo '!DRBD! pri on incon-degr' | wall ; sleep 60 ;
halt -f";
	  startup {    wfc-timeout 5;    degr-wfc-timeout 120;  }
	  disk {    on-io-error detach;  }
	  net { }
	  syncer {    rate   4M;    group   1;  }

	  on p4test1.multimap.com {
	    device      /dev/drbd0;
	    disk        /dev/hda5;
	    address     192.168.10.18:7789;
	    meta-disk   /dev/hda7[0];
	  }

	  on p4test2.multimap.com {
	    device     /dev/drbd0;
	    disk       /dev/hda5;
	    address    192.168.10.46:7789;
	    meta-disk  /dev/hda7[0];
	  }
	}

	resource p4logs {
	  protocol C;
	  incon-degr-cmd "echo '!DRBD! pri on incon-degr' | wall ; sleep 60 ;
halt -f";
	  startup {    wfc-timeout 5;    degr-wfc-timeout 120;  }
	  disk {    on-io-error detach;  }
	  net { }
	  syncer {    rate   4M;    group   1;  }

	  on p4test1.multimap.com {