[DRBD-user] slow synchronisation

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Fri Sep 3 11:12:21 CEST 2004

On Thursday 02 September 2004 21:36, Christian Garling wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> i have a problem with synchronisation. i have 2 servers with escalade
> 7506-4P raid controller and three maxtor baracuda 160gb harddisks. they
> are connected through two intel eepro 1000 gigabit ethernet cards (bonding
> mode 0). when i comment out the rate setting in drbd.conf the initial sync
> runs with the default value of 250kb/s. but when i use the rate setting it
> only runs with about 12kb/s. i tested the connection with iptraf monitor
> and it seems everything to be ok. here is my actually configuration. its
> very basicly at the moment.
>
> resource r0 {
>   protocol C;
>   incon-degr-cmd "halt -f";
>
>   startup {
>     wfc-timeout  0;
>     degr-wfc-timeout 120;
>  }
>
>   disk {
>     on-io-error   panic;
>   }
>
>   net {
>     timeout       60;    #  6 seconds  (unit = 0.1 seconds)
>     connect-int   10;    # 10 seconds  (unit = 1 second)
>     ping-int      10;    # 10 seconds  (unit = 1 second)
>     ko-count 5;
>     on-disconnect reconnect;
>   }
>
>   syncer {
>     rate 10M;
>   }
>
>   on node01 {
>     device     /dev/drbd0;
>     disk       /dev/sda1;
>     address    10.0.0.10:7788;
>     meta-disk  internal;
>   }
>
>   on node02 {
>     device    /dev/drbd0;
>     disk      /dev/sda1;
>     address   10.0.0.20:7788;
>     meta-disk internal;
>   }
> }

I would really onjoy to see such a cluster in real live (I mean one
that does only 12kb/s).

I installed a csync2/DRBD/heartbeat cluster yesterday. The two boxes
had 3Ware Escalades 9xxxx Controllers.

We did some primary crash simulation test and had 20MB/sec resync
simultaniously on two drbd-resources resyncing in parallel.
(rate was set to 20M. Probabely these machines would do even more)

Here the usual questions:
Have you tested the bandwith of your network link ? How ? What numbers
do you get ?
Have you tested the bandwith of your disks ? How ? What numbers
do you get ?
Which kernel ? Which drbd release ? Hardware ?
Have you tested without bonding ?
Are you using jumbo-frames ? MTU ?

-Philipp