[DRBD-user] The need for speed

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Mon Nov 22 10:16:34 CET 2004

On Friday 19 November 2004 14:42, Jan Bruvoll wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I find your comment about S-ATA RAID controllers highly interesting - I
> am struggling bigtime with getting anywhere near reasonable speeds using
> a NFS - DRDB - 3Ware RAID chain. What do you mean exactly with "slow",
> and would you be able to share any pointers on how to pinpoint why my
> server pair is so painfully slow?

This "plain motherboard IDE controler" gives me 40MB/sec with this
particular Seagate disk.

I have seen IBM's ServRaid controlers giving me no more than 30MB/sec
with a bunch of expensive SCSI disks.

I have seen 3ware controlers staying below the 30M/sec mark....

But do not ask me details, I can not rememer... and please understand
that comment in the context of an linear access pattern. A ServRaid
controler with battery backed up RAM can vastly improve the throuhgput
of transaction orientated IO load [database...].

-philipp