[DRBD-user] Re: RHEL 3 System crashes while syncing can someonehelpout??

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Nov 19 23:09:13 CET 2004

RobH wrote:

> First of all thank you very much for helping me with this.
> I am still testing this on two Linux machines with RHEL White box 3 on
> it, that's why the time settings aren't correct, but I will change that.
> I am not a compile guru, but just a little Linux admin, we are searching
> for a system that can handle drbd, we can not use suse because we will
> run the cluster on a dell machine and we need the Hardware admin tools
> they will only run on redhat machines.

You might want to name the programs you are talking about, many of them have
equivalents in different linux distros.  And still others will just run
under a different distro on the same arch.

> So do you have some experience with Fedora is it stable? And does it run
> drbd ??
Yes. reasonably. Yes. :)

I am maintaining two Dell PowerEdge 650's with raid drives using drbd to
keep them mirrored between the machines. Search the list archive to see some
of my early tribulations. :)

Fedora core 1 + drbd 0.6.1[03], updated with yum, is pretty stable for me.
However there might be a benefit to you for staying with RHEL, that is
support from redhat.  If you have a problem with something RH installed you
can call them and probably get help from them quickly.  If you are ready to
learn more than I picked up on from your text above, Fedora can be useful to
you, but your support comes from the web & community. help may be a bit slow
to arrive if you have to wait for email replies.

I believe I have seen a SUSE guy in this list in the past, so you might be
able to get better drbd support from SUSE than from other distributions.
Search the list archive and look at some of his comments. YMMV.

--
Todd Denniston