[DRBD-user] drbd 0.6.12 on SLES 8

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Sat May 29 01:47:46 CEST 2004

Hi Frank,

/ 2004-05-28 09:24:57 -0600
\ Lucas Albers:
> Seuberth, Frank said:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > as i am not street-smart (this is from http://dict.leo.org)
> > with implementing the stuff in the kernel and making what has to be
> > make'd :
> >
> > Can someone make me happy with the needed pakages
> > for installing drbd freshly 0.6.12 on :
> >
> > Intel Xeon dual Prozessor machine (SUN V65x)
> > SLES8 SP3
> >
> Download kernel-source from kernel.org.

of course the SuSE kernel-source, or even the kernel headers
will suffice to compile the DRBD module.
I don't know for SLES8,
but e.g. in SL 9.0 the "preconfigured kernel headers" are in
/usr/src/linux-include/*/

the drbd user space tools are pretty much happy with themselves.

since it is a SuSE, you could try to do a
make -f Makefile.SuSE-9.0 and see how far it takes you...
it will try to build rpms for each named kernel flavor.

according to comments in that file, to rebuild the documentation,
on SuSE 9.0 I needed
@RPMS_USED="kernel-source                               \
        docbook-dsssl-stylesheets docbook-toys          \
        docbook-utils docbook-utils opensp perl-SGMLS"; \
and their dependencies (but the tgz already includes prebuild
documentation. so actually you only need to rebuild the module and user
space tools.  the user and kernel module require nothing special but the
standard build environment, gcc, and make, and so on.

> Check out 6.12 source from cvs repository on sourceforge.
> They have directions on a cvs checkout their.
> Just two cvs commands.

yes, cvs HEAD has some minor improvements to 0.6.12 tgz,
but it does not really matter. no functional change.

> compile kernel.

no actual need to do that, as long as the kernel headers/kernel sources
are properly preconfigured.

> then compile drbd module with this command
> make KDIR=/location_of_kernel_directory

yes.
or make KDIR=/usr/src/linux-include/smp/ ...

> then insmod the drbd.o module.

I prefer
 make install; modprobe
or even leave the modprobe to the drbd script.

hth,

	Lars Ellenberg