[DRBD-user] initscript should be non-interactive

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Sun May 23 23:59:35 CEST 2004

Hi Helmut, on Sun, 23 May 2004 22:58:47 +0200 you wrote:

[DRBD causing boot to hand]
> _My_ suggestion:
> DRBD should not interrupt the init-process in such a situation. Only
> print a message like "cannot decide to be primary or secondary" and
> leave states as the are. Further action should be taken by the cluster
> manager.

This is kind of what I was getting at when I was asking about inittimeout
and load_only a couple of weeks back. The problem, as was rightly pointed
out, is that heartbeat doesn't know anything about the DRBD status,
therefore heartbeat might start the node with old data as primary.

I guess what might be handy is a "administrator required" mode for the
purposes of non-interactive startups, kind of like load_only (so it loads
the module and doesn't hold up the startup process) but where DRBD will
block "normal" requests to become primary (e.g. by being called from
datadisk via heartbeat) and instead refuse to do anything until an
administrator does *something* special?

Tim