[DRBD-user] RE: drbd 0.6.12 + heartbeat + synchronization + machine load

Zanen, Sietse van svzanen at emea.att.com
Thu May 20 13:01:25 CEST 2004

Please just ignore the last message, Outlook screwed it up... (what
would you expect, it's Outlook...)

Could be, but haven't seen any evidence in that direction.

> [...]
>4294967295
>> drbd1: [drbd_syncer_1/4321] sock_sendmsg time expired, ko =
>4294967294
>> drbd1: [drbd_syncer_1/4321] sock_sendmsg time expired, ko =
>4294967295
>> drbd1: [drbd_syncer_1/4321] sock_sendmsg time expired, ko =
>4294967295
>> drbd1: [drbd_syncer_1/4321] sock_sendmsg time expired, ko =
>4294967294
>> drbd1: [drbd_syncer_1/4321] sock_sendmsg time expired, ko =
>4294967295
>> drbd1: [drbd_syncer_1/4321] sock_sendmsg time expired, ko =
>4294967294
>> drbd1: [drbd_syncer_1/4321] sock_sendmsg time expired, ko =
>4294967295
>> drbd1: [drbd_syncer_1/4321] sock_sendmsg time expired, ko =
>4294967295
>>
>> I've tryd fiddling with sync parameters (sync-nice, sync-group,
>> tl-size,
>> etc.) nothing helped, although symptoms did vary (time
>before lock-ups
>> of system, time before HB failed over, less or more of these
>> sock_sendmsg messages).
>>
>> As soon as Hearbeat had shut itself down, sync speed would sometimes
>> go up again, but other tiimes remained low. Same thing with the load
>> somtimes went down to normal values, sometimes not. System
>lock ups too.
>> Stopping the sync by disconnecting the secondary cluster node always
>> brought sysmtems back to normal.
>>
>> The only way systems remained stable was doing the sync in
>single user
>> mode. But as it's 70GB of data we're talking about and 5MB/s sync
>> would take 3hrs+, this would be unacceptable downtime. I will now
>> start with a new dataset and see if I can reproduce the
>problem. I am
>> not going to wait for sync to finish in single user mode. I
>would not
>> mind, if in a situation like this syncing the data back to
>the primary
>> node, takes a day, but it has to be stable and the secondary
>node has
>> to serve the data in the meantime.
>>
>> My drbd.conf:
>> resource drbd0 {
>>   protocol = C
>>   fsckcmd = /bin/true
>>
>>   disk {
>>     disk-size = 4890000k
>>     do-panic
>>   }
>>
>>   net {
>>   sync-group = 0
>>   sync-rate = 8M
>>   sync-min = 5M
>>   sync-max = 10M
>
>if you read the example config file, you find that -rate is deprecated
>synonym for -max. so don't use it.
>
>sync-nice will have no effect when you set -min to something which is
>way abavoe what you typically see, since as long as the actuyl sync
>throughput is below -min, syncer sets itself to highest possible
This should not happen. If sync rate is below -min, there's probably a
good reason for it, probably better to LOWER prio when that's happening.
I would say prio should be increased if rate is higher than -min and
lower than -max. Prio should be lowered is sync is lower than -min or
higher than -max.

>>   sync-nice = 0
>>   tl-size = 5000
>>
>>   ping-int = 10
>>   timeout = 9
>
>NO!
>of course you may *whish* that DRBD recognises drop of connection in
>0.9 seconds. but do not do this on a 100MBit link, and not with 500MHz
>CPU.
>that will cause a packet storm whenever the connection gets congested,
>congesting it even more.
>
>timeout is in centiseconds! (read the example config file!) default is
>60, so why did you set it to 9 ?

Because if I'd set it to 60, it would display the error, that timeout
needs to be lower than ping-int and connect-int. I discovered, that if
you fiddle with these settings, you need to include all three in your
config. I now set ping-int and connect-int to 10 and timeout to 90.

>>   }
>>
>>   on syslogcs-cla {
>>     device = /dev/nb0
>>     disk = /dev/sdb2
>>     address = 10.0.0.1
>>     port = 7788
>>   }
>>
>>   on syslogcs-clb {
>>     device = /dev/nb0
>>     disk = /dev/md14
>>     address = 10.0.0.2
>>     port = 7788
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> resource drbd1 {
>>   protocol = C
>>   fsckcmd = /bin/true
>>
>>   disk {
>>     disk-size = 64700000k
>>     do-panic
>>   }
>>
>>   net {
>>   sync-group = 1
>>   sync-rate = 8M
>>   sync-min = 5M
>>   sync-max = 10M
>>   sync-nice = 19
>
>again, see comments for the sync section above!
>
>>   tl-size = 5000
>>
>>   ping-int = 10
>>   timeout = 9
>>   }
>>
>>   on syslogcs-cla {
>>     device = /dev/nb1
>>     disk = /dev/sdb3
>>     address = 10.0.0.1
>>     port = 7789
>>   }
>>
>>   on syslogcs-clb {
>>     device = /dev/nb1
>>     disk = /dev/md15
>>     address = 10.0.0.2
>>     port = 7789
>>   }
>> }
>> /dev/md14 is RAID0 made of two RAID1 pairs (md9 & md10)
>> /dev/md15 is RAID0 made of two RAID1 pairs (md11 & md12)
>
>hm.
>DRBD on MD on MD on SCSI ? cute.
I was more like 'sweeet' that it worked. But then again a block device =
a block device = a block device = a.......

>> Output of mount commands:
>> drbd1: blksize=1024 B
>> drbd1: blksize=4096 B
>> kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
>> EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on drbd(43,1), internal journal
>> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
>> Why the different block size? Both disks have this when mounting.
>
>because the superblock access of ext fs on mount/umount is 1024.
>then it reads the fs parameters, and resets the block size again to
>4096.
>
>> Sometimes I get the message, that md device used obsolete ioctl, but
>> this should only be cosmetical.
>
>yes.
>
>> Sometimes got the message on the SW RAID systdm, that block size
>> couldn't be determined and 512b was assumed.
>
>yes.
>
>> The SW RAID seems to outperform the HW RAID by 100%
>
>yes. :)
Now, in the past few days it seemed more an more like this was my
problem. I did some speed testing on the HW and SW raid. I discovered,
that write rates on the HW RAID just didn't get any better than 5=6MB/s,
while SW raid did 20MB/s easily. As the sync rate was higher than that
it overloaded my system. I tried fiddling with sync-max, but the only
thing I seemd to achieve is to delay the locking up of both systems (ie
even with sync-max to 1MB/s, it would lock up after about 30mins).
Luckily the DELL 2400 comes with BIOS option to switch from HW raid to
SCSI. I did and now both systems are SW RAID, no more lock ups, but sync
speed now seems to drop to around 700KB/s after 15-20 minutes Leaves the
question though why under / over performance of one side of the link
causes both machines to lock up. This shouldn't happen. Never.

>> On rare occasions I saw lock-ups of fsck or mount during heartbeat
>> start-up. One time even causing entire system to hang during reboot
>> (killall was not able to kill a hanging mount process.) Maybe also
>> important info: Some md devices were syncing at the same time drbd
>> devices were syncing. This too was not acheiving high speeds. You
>> would expect this, when drbd sync uses 5MB, but not when that drops.
>> You then would expect md sync to go faster, but it didn't, it would
>> stay at 100-300KB/s.
>
>so don't expect performance, when you thrash your harddisks on an SMP
>box with several kernel threads *plus* applications.
>no wonder your box goes south.
>
>on a very different scale of course, but what your are doing is similar

>to running a high performance database with its backing storage being a

>floppy. if your hardware cannot cope with what your software demands,
>than thats what you get:
>unresponsive systems at best.

I disagree, syncing should NEVER trash harddisks. MD sync doesn't. Sync
prio just lowers as IO increases. Also the apps I were running, weren't
even generating IO at the time. Also, as the config might suggest, I'm
setting up a syslog collector cluster, which needs to process around
128Kbits/s of log data. I would actually expect to be able to write that
to a floppy, wouldn't I? So if, MD sync is doing 100KB/s drbd sync
should be able to do 10MB/s easily and vice versa.

>> Lots of information, but probably more needed. I will let
>you know if
>> I can reproduce the problem, when I have created new
>datasets to test
>> with.
>
>BTW,
>ext3 is known to have performance problems on SMP under heavy io load
>anyways, which is because then writes which where contiguous on UP (for

>the respective applications) become scattered between multiple threads,

>and all aplications will have to seek ... you know what happens.
This would be entirely out of the question and irrelevant, as the SMP
Box was just receiving sync data and did not have the FS mounted. And as
stated above, IO load is not high, it is very low indeed.