[DRBD-user] heartbeat with drbd

Andreas Huck drbd at huck.it
Fri May 14 12:17:20 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Friday 14 May 2004 11:22, Thomas Fischer wrote:
[...]

> Now i want combine heartbeat with drbd and i have some questions.
>
> I would say there exists four states:
> 1. db1 up (primary)     db2 up (secondary) - should be normal ;-)
> 2. db1 up (primary)     db2 down (unknown) - :-(
> 3. db1 down (unknown)   db2 up (primary)   - :-(
> 4. db1 down (unknown)   db2 down (unknown) - :-(((

there are even some more since you can stop heartbeat manually on one node
and stop drbd on that node afterwards as well - so you have
db1 up (primary)    db2 down (known)   :-)
db2 up (primary)    db1 down (known)   :-)

> Which actions i have to perform for the transitions? I got puzzled,
> because heartbeat offers only the possibility to start and stop.

Take a look at the scripts datadisk and db2 in ../ha.d/resource.d/.
Heartbeat will care about the resource management of the drbd device
and also about database start/stop etc. So you have a statement like
db1 <virtual IP> datadisk::resource db2::db2inst MailTo:ha-admin at x.y.com
in ../ha.d/haresources - and hopefully also a STONITH device configured.
Thats pretty much all, and that's why the combination of heartbeat and
drbd is such a nice thing... Have fun :-)

Regards,
Andreas