[DRBD-user] Some weird behaviour

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed May 12 18:13:22 CEST 2004

/ 2004-05-12 16:21:47 +0100
\ Nuno Tavares:
> Greetings,
>
> I've been out for a while, trying to determine if DRBD fit in my case. It
> does. And it does it incredibly. I'm really surprised with it. But I have
> a couple of questions, using 0.6.12:
>
> 1) Sometimes I gues the following message:
>    "drbd0: predetermined states are in contradiction to GC's"
>    That happened, at least, with host1/Primary and when booting host2.
>    What does it mean?

you have Paul running as Primary, and then
Silas connects, and says
 "Hey, I have more recent data than you, so I want to be the Primary,
  and you become sync target!"
And Paul answeres
 "I won't cooperate, I may have running services using me.
  You just go away and leave me alone."

This can happen if you *forced*, maybe after some timeout,
a node to become Primary, without knowing that it had the best data.

> 2) Also, I'm using heartbeat to control the NFS resource that relies upon
> DRBD, and setting DRBD to be "passive", ie, cluster-managed (see
> configuration file below).

No, I don't see it?

> Setting it to "auto_failback=off", and booting
> host1 and host2 at the same time (they launch INIT/drbd script almost at
> the same time) I get this sometimes:
> on host1: /proc/drbd: primary/unknown, NEEDS_SYNC
> on host2: it starts dumping "drbd0: !page in drbd_put_ee()" in an infinite
> loop.
>    What could be wrong? This is the unique situation that is unstable.

I don't understand this one.
I do not even understand exactly what you do here.
Please explain.

	Lars Ellenberg