[DRBD-user] meta-disk guidance

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue May 4 15:00:51 CEST 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 12:12:10PM +0000, Ron O'Hara wrote:
> A quick question about meta-disk internal in 0.7  ...
>
> If I have a device (/dev/md5) of 500Mb do I have to deliberately make
> the file system (ext3) smaller by the 128Mb of the meta-disk ?

Yes.
Though, if you mkfs /dev/nbd/X, which is what you should do,
the mkfs already sees the correct disksize, and will behave correctly.

So to setup a NEW filesystem on top of drbd,
I recommend to write the config file, then
 drbdadm up your-resource
 drbdadm primary your-resource
 mkfs -t whatever [... parameters ...] /dev/nbd/X

If you want to put DRBD below an *existing* filesystem,
and you want *internal* meta data, you have to resize (shrink) the
filesystem first.

	Lars Ellenberg