[DRBD-user] DRBD stuck in StandAlone

dhz_bf at walla.co.il dhz_bf at walla.co.il
Wed Mar 17 17:13:05 CET 2004

I have DRBD 0.6.11 that manages two partitions between two machines running kernel 2.4.18.  I am using heartbeat as a cluster manager, and it is configured to use the "datadisk" script to turn nodes to primary or secondary state as needed by the two nodes states.  I am using bonding to do HA on the NIC between eth0 and eth1.
I have performed the following experimet.  I went to the switch to which both the primary and secondary nodes are connected and disabled the two links (eth0 and eth1) of the primary node.    Consequently, the secondary node moved to be Primary (and the other node Unknown).  Also, the cs became StandAlone.
Then, I turned the two switch links back on.  As a result, the heartbeat returned the primary node to be primary and the secondary node to be secondary.  However, the cs of the secondary node remained as StandAlone, and the primary node's cs was WFConnection.
There are pings between the two nodes; they communicate.  Let's not forget that the heartbeat detected that the two nodes communicate and ran the datadisk script on both nodes as required.
Any idea why drbd on the two nodes don't communicate?  How can I recover from such a state?  Anything I can do to prevent it?
Thanks,

Doron Zifrony