[DRBD-user] new device ?

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Thu Mar 11 12:08:27 CET 2004

Am Donnerstag, 11. März 2004 11:32 schrieb Jim Richard:
> ok maybe a stupid question but, can I create a drbd device on a low
> level device that already has a file system on it ?
>
> I mean, what if /dev/hda1 already has a file system, can I just create
> the new drbd device on that or do I need to move all the data to another
> location and move it back after I have mounted /dev/nb0 for example?
>
> I guess you couldn't put the root file system on /dev/nb0 ...

Yes it is possible.
You need to take into account that the resulting DRBD device has
to be of the same size as the lower level device holding your file
systems.

Read: The lower level device on your peer has to be of the same
      size or bigger. AND you have to get the disk-size parameter
      right.

      If you fail, you will get strange FS errors later on, not
      immediately.

AND it you do this the first time, you should really have a
backup.

-Philipp